Booking your research work at AWIPEV-Base
Once you have an AWIPEV accepted project, the formalities for preparing your stay form a 4-step process:
1. Project Leader: register your project and the stay for all members of your team at RIS portal:
www.researchinsvalbard.no (This can be done well in advance and should be updated annually for any new field period and/or publication and data set.) The new RIS portal provides online application to retrieve necessary permits from Svalbard Governor, Svalbard Science Forum or the Norwegian Animal Research Authority (for "invasive" studies of animals) or provides links to the appropriate website.
2. Project Leader: prepare and send Logistic Needs Form at least 6 weeks before departure to Ny-Ålesund.
3. All members of a research team must book at the AWIPEV-Base individually:http://apps3.awi.de/AWIPEV-booking Personal data has to be provided only once, later you can choose your name from the list. Any later modifications of your personal data can only be made by the administration, please provide such changes on the printed personal questionaire or by writing to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. For each booking, you have to indicate, whether you book via AWI or IPEV. You can use the "save" and "submit" buttons when editing / finally booking your stay.
Field work on Spitzbergen is regulated by various provisions, mainly by the Governor of Svalbard. In order to find out whether your planned research requires permissions, please read the guide prepared by Svalbard Science Forum (SSF) and ensure that all permissions needed are delivered to the AWIPEV base leader before your visit.
Before you leave for Spitsbergen
A) Booking your travel to Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen, and sending your freight to the station has to be done by yourself. Please, read our hints at the AWIPEV pages and consider the following links Travel, Cargo, Mail Information and General Visitor Information.
B) Inform AWIPEV-Base and AWIPEV logistics by providing the form "Logistic needs" (Word).
Your stay at the station
Before you leave again, prepare in time the return freight of your equipment! In general no equipment, chemicals or other material can be left in Ny-Aalesund! For freight handling refer to the corresponding information by Kings Bay AS.
AWIPEV is committed to inform the public about the work at the station. You are asked to contribute by
- explaining your research activities to the station personnel, other guests, and visitors
- giving a public lecture in Ny-Ålesund (NySTALK)
- providing infos or even write an article.